Questions to Consider:
1. What percentage of the American public could vote in 1790?
2. How has the right to vote expanded over time?
3. Who is more likely to engage in political participation? How does that affect who is elected and government policies?
Despite claims of being a democracy, very few people could vote in the early days of the United States. Click this LINK to see how the right to vote has gradually expanded over the past 225 years. In your notes, list how each of the following amendments changed voting rights:
Which of these amendments do you think was the most significant in impacting voting rights and elections? Explain your answer.
Task #2: Read the two article below and answer the following questions:
1. Explain two factors that influence overall voter turnout rates.
2. Describe how each of the following demographic features affects voter turnout:
- Socioeconomic Status (SES)
3. How do the above differences influence government policy and campaign strategy?
Article: What Affects Voter Turnout Rates
Article: Census Data Finds Who Votes, and Who Doesn't
Videos for Review: