Yesterday, you read about the arguments both for and against the Electoral College.
Today, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and skills as you try to win in the Electoral College.
iCivics Win the White House: A pretty comprehensive game that takes you through the presidential race. Create an account to be able to save your progress and compete against friends.
- Register and join our class (GatesAPGOV 1617). The class code is Stone38882. Once you are registered and enrolled in the class, click on Assignments and there should be a link for Win the White House.
- Follow the instructions and try to win the presidency.
- The first (nomination) stage is selecting your candidate, party, and issues. Make sure you understand the positions that your candidate is taking on the issues. It will be important to match them up on the campaign trail and take the correct stand. You will also need to understand them during your debate in the nomination stage.
- The second stage is the general election campaign. You will need to fundraise each round and then use the money for polling, media events, or campaign ads.
- Make sure to pay attention to polling numbers and momentum. Campaign in the states that you have a chance of winning, but don't neglect the states where you have a lead.
- Good luck! There will be a prize for the student who does the best!