Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Unit 3: Civil Liberties & Civil Rights (Remote Learning Style!)

I hope you all had a good first day back(?) from spring break. Even if we cannot meet face to face, we will continue to connect in other ways and explore new avenues of learning. Please be patient with me (and your other teachers) as we are all trying to build the plane while flying it. I will also be patient and extend grace to you during this educational journey. I'm going to be trying some different things out over the next few weeks. Some will work, others will not. I will be soliciting your feedback as well so that I know what is effective and what you would like to see. Perhaps another one of your teachers is doing something amazing that I am not familiar with. Share that with me! We're all in this together and I want to make sure that we continue learning and understanding how our government operates.

As mentioned in yesterday's post, we will utilize a variety of resources, some old, some new. I will continue to post each topic/lesson on our class webpage as before, but instead of posting daily, I will try and post the entire week's worth of topics at the beginning of the week. This means you will have to scroll down or use the navigation bar on the side to see them in order (since they will be posted in reverse). I will also include a weekly guide that outlines each day's topic, standards, essential question, and the specific tasks that you need to complete. Here is this week's guide for 3/23-3/27. You can choose to complete each lesson on the day that it is scheduled for or work at your own pace. You can complete them all as soon as possible, or wait until the day they are due (not recommended at all!). The tasks will all be due the following Monday. For example, all of this week's tasks, including today's assignment of signing up for EdPuzzle, are due by Monday, March 30th. Please note that all assignments (mainly those at the end of the week) may not be linked and ready to go at the beginning of the week.

As you look at the guide, you will see that it includes completing Khan Academy videos, readings, and assessments, using EdPuzzle to watch assigned videos and answer questions, self-assessments, Supreme Court cases, and discussion boards (I am working on figuring that out). In addition, you should be looking at each day's normal posts for background information and deeper understanding. I'm working on doing a screencast for Thursday's topic on the Establishment Clause to guide you through all of the information. I am excited to try new resources and instructional methods, so please share with me other strategies that you think would be useful.

For now, you will receive 5 points for each day's tasks that you complete sufficiently. The self-assessments are formative, so the specific score you receive is not being recorded. There will be quizzes and exams in the future as well.

I would love to touch base with you this week and get some feedback, answer questions, and just see how everyone is doing. I have set up several Google Hangouts/Meet for this Wednesday during my office hours. You can participate in the optional (15 minute) Meet that is most convenient for you, but I tried to break it down by hour to ensure we don't have 100+ people on all at the same time. I hope to see you all there! Here are the times and links to access:

1st hour: 10:30-10:45am: https://meet.google.com/pre-orxa-ucx?hs=122
4th hour: 11:00-11:15am: https://meet.google.com/cpx-twyj-btj?hs=122
5th hour: 1:00-1:15pm: https://meet.google.com/rts-pcgk-awg?hs=122
6th hour: 1:25-1:40pm: https://meet.google.com/wjt-gevj-eun?hs=122
7th hour: 1:45-2:00pm: https://meet.google.com/yoi-dcok-qvt?hs=122

Again, thank you for your patience and I apologize for such a long post. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for anything. I loved hearing from those of you who emailed me yesterday. Stay safe and healthy. We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment